PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wikileaks-gawd bless
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2011, 15:16
Lima Juliet

Received 80 Likes on 32 Posts
DERG

Err, I think you mean RNAS Lossiemouth. Anyway, to what you refer to is most likely incorrect if you're thinking of Rowland White's book, here's why:

One British writer erroneously claimed that the early school was influenced by a group of a dozen flying instructors from the British Fleet Air Arm, who were graduates of the Royal Navy's intense Air Warfare Instructors School in Lossiemouth, Scotland. However an earlier incarnation of TOPGUN, the U.S. Navy Fleet Air Gunnery Units, or FAGU, provided air combat training for Naval Aviators from the early 1950's until 1960, when a doctrinal shift, brought on by advances in missile, radar and fire control technology, contributed to the belief that the era of the classic dogfight was over, leading to their disestablishment. The pilots who were part of the initial cadre of instructors at TOPGUN had experience as students from FAGU.
Anyway, I should think the US would be most insulted by the UK trying to claim that "the UK taught the USA how to dog fight". Have a think about the following US aces with their kills - are you claiming that we taught them?

WWI

Edward V. Rickenbacker, 26
S. C. Rosevear, 23
William C. Lambert, 22
Frederick W. Gillette, 20
John J. Malone, 20
Alan M. Wilkinson, 19
Frank Luke, 18
Frank L. Hale, 18

WWII

Richard I. Bong, 40
Thomas McGuire, 38
David McCampbell, 34
Francis "Gabby" Gabreski, 28
Robert S. Johnson, 28
George Preddy, 27
Charles MacDonald, 27
Joseph Foss, 26

And don't forget, they started late in both wars!

Sadly, you have displayed, just the type of "Brit arrogance" that I refered to in my first post - OK, for a bit of banter, but that is all.

LJ