PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Singapore Cargo Rumours (early 2010)
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2011, 11:58
O'Neill No6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fatigue SQC

Hey LC, that gave me a laugh! About the delay messages under the door and the telephone message lights! I have done some holidaying recently and always check for messages in the doorway of my room and for the message light! I am always surprised if I go out for the day and the light is NOT flashing when I return!

There is a topic in the Rumours and News section of pprune (alleged solo napping by SAS pilot) and I have to laugh at some of the reasons people have listed for not obtaining rest on layovers. Remember Anchorage? There was a place that ticked all the boxes. Summertime: Almost 24 hour daylight, trains blaring their horns from 4am onwards, heavily-laden light aircraft whipping past the window 18 hours a day, fighters from the Elmendorf AFB going "straight up" to 50,000', tourist coaches outside from the early hours running their aircon in preparation for their customers, a constant stream of loud-talking (deaf) tourists passing by your door at all hours, security standing outside your room with their "walkie talkies" set on max volume. Added to that the regular difficulties of all hotels as described in that thread.

So glad I'm out of it. I used to make appointments for the day following my scheduled arrival into Singapore, but had to cancel so many times I think people thought I was just lazy. 4PW's is right when he says that the fatigue that you will develop in SQC is close to incomparable with any other job I know.

True about some great guys there. Some lovely local guys and going back to the days when the Scandinavians were there-well it was a good job then no doubt.

These are my reminiscences but I hope that may also be of some help to those trying to make their decisions.

All the best guys.