PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MCC / JOC - Where??
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2011, 11:02
BoeingDreamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very strange, when many pilots I have spoken to that it is good experience that you have been and done few hours in a 737 sim (as an example), if you are called up for an assessment with companies like Ryan Air or others who use 737 sims for assessments. (And from what I have heard, quite many do)

Do you really want the assessment day to be your first time in 737 full motion sim?
Do you really not want to be a little familiar at least with some of the characteristics of how the controls feel, cockpit layout etc. I am sure for some it is not a problem, but do you need to take that "risk" for what might be the most important day of your career, to get into that first job!

And to be honest, to save around £500, yes that is the difference, after all the money spent on training, IR/CPL/ME, and you think that an extra £500 to do the MCC in a full motion 737 sim is a major problem.

How much will it cost you to rent a sim for few hours to prepare for an assessment?
It is not a major issue for me, I am not going to put one company ahead of another, but I was offered one for £1900, fixed base Citation, and £2500 for 737 full motion, after all those tests, ATPL's, etc., I want to know and feel what all this is really about, call it a treat, but it is also a new and very good experience, to get the feel of the controls, higher speeds and instrumentation.

It might not give you any more chance of a job on the paper work, but it might give you a little edge on the day you go in the sim for an assessment not to screw it up.

I have a captain friend who is arranging an assessment for me with a company, and he told me to get familiar with the 737 before my assessment, because this will help!

It's a bit like fools and horses, yes smart idea, spent £30000 - £40000 on training, and the extra £600 is what is going to break the camels back!!!! You must be having a laugh!