PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Singapore Cargo Rumours (early 2010)
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2011, 10:26
Left Coaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Couldn't agree more! It was much the same for me and my family during our time there. I still flinch when I think I hear the sound of paper sliding under a hotel room door...It always meant a roster change at SQ Cargo...or that blasted message light on the phone was always flashing...I still look for that too! Seems the roster changes caused irreperable damage to my mind! ()
Having said that...I was able to take the early get out when it came up to move on to a way better and much happier situation that would not have been available if I didn't have the B744 experience...SQ was not renewing many expat contracts at the time, and let go some very senior and well experienced Captains, some with over 12 years at both Mainline and Cargo...they will replace expats in a heartbeat if they think they can get a guy to join for less money, you can bet on that...it's all about keeping the rice bowl full. As for any job protection you might get from ALPA S...don't hold your breath...it's a "What's In It For Me" club and apart from a few who genuinly have concern for the colleagues, the rest could give a S**t about you. Lots of work done not that long ago on fixing a poor rostering practice was undone and trashed as soon as the few who tried to help left...it's looking like a real nightmare now, which is too bad. There used to be some real talented guys working there, and I loved the flying, but hated the life in the city, and the roster changes...cheap buggers could have made it work, but declined...good luck to those who stay or join.