PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - C310 Down in the TIWI's
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2011, 08:40
baron_beeza

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone who has spent any time in GA knows that maintenance is not always the best and that things sometimes go "overlooked".
Sorry guys, I know we are on a sad topic here but I cannot let this one slip by also.
I have been involved in GA as both an LAME and pilot for over 30 years. After working all round the world on various contracts and in places in the Pacific, Asia and Africa I have noticed that thing do get overlooked.

AND where I am pointing the finger ........ the worst events are invariably by the young, and not so young pilots. A defect is a defect, you cannot ignore it during the pre-flight, you cannot carry it, mentioning it to your buddies.
I have worked on the 310's in Darwin... I could not believe some of the things overlooked... the guys in the hangar can't fix it if they are not aware of it.

For example, a seat recline issue is not fixed by jamming the control lock in the mechanism. Seat failures cause accidents and they occur at the worst possible time, just after rotate.......

Check the stats, seat failures versus engine failures (not the pilot induced ones but a genuine failure)....

I am not suggesting seat failures cause explosions mid-air mind you... I think the jury is still out on that one.
I am just saying that if we want to keep 30 yo aircraft to continue running in good working order then we all have a part to play.

I certify many aircraft engines for operation beyond recommended TBO.
After years of working on them, asking questions of the overhaul facility etc I have a fair idea of what causes engine failures... a genuine failure is a very rare occurrence.

A sad event and I feel for you guys up there.. difficult times for sure.