PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rig Support Vessel In Trouble
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2011, 16:58
Ivan Rogov

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tourist, apologies if my analogy was poor (they were never my strong point) but I think you missed my point.
The point was that they coped with what actually happened (nearly a car crash, as it sounds like an evacuation), in hindsight everything looks great.
But what if things had started to go wrong (Car crash) and plan A wasn't good enough? You need plan B or C (Airbag, seatbelt). We regularly practiced the most elaborate SAR scenarios in the Sim to ensure we could cope, C2, Top cover, etc. could easily lead to low level search and ASR drop in minutes, even waiting 15 mins for a helo might be too long for a survivor in the water (especially as they might still have to search and locate them if you hadn't done it).
There are many ways the situation could have deteriorated yesterday, it didn't but that doesn't demonstrate that our FW SAR cover is sufficient, just that we coped with a relatively simple OEI evacuation. Please don't think I am trying to be a doom and gloom merchant, I am very glad it all went well