PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LHR Inebriated DL Pilot Sentenced to Six Months
Old 5th Feb 2011, 16:35
LProuse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To Aterpster

Well, that's not quite true. I don't want to rehash all I wrote quite some while back so go back and take a look at the referral link if you're interested.

Pilots who have been drinking are often stopped and caught at TSA checkpoints, some airlines allow different cockpit parameters before the point of no return is crossed - some say it's at the point where the Checklist is read, and others have other parameters where a pilot does not irrevocably lose his/her career. It all depends on the airline.

The very nature of alcoholism says, "I don't have it!" and it's rare for a pilot to turn themselves in (yes...it happens...but not often). Nor are many families able to call up the courage it takes to organize an intervention (and if a professional isn't involved the outcome can be very negative when they DO make the attempt).

Alcoholism is a complex disease. And before someone jumps on what I'm saying I will say once more - it does NOT absolve ANYONE of the consequences that result from their actions; alcoholic or NOT. But...when treated, an employee can return as a valued member of their profession.

I've been sober nearly 21 years now (March 7, 1990). I retired honorably in Sept '98 (age 60) and am still flying with a First Class FAA medical certificate. Surprisingly, I've never flown drunk in all that time. Go figure.

Lyle Prouse - Grateful for my life and my sobriety...!

His quote below:
Most, if not all, U.S. carriers have an intervention and treatment program, which is approved by the FAA. DAL is certainly a participant.

But, it requires that the alcoholic pilot either turn himself in off duty, or friends or family trigger an intervention. My experience as a union rep was that it was almost always an intervention that worked (well, worked at least to get the pilot into in-patient care paid for by the company).

When those two opportunities are missed and it goes to an on-duty situation, it's all over but the shouting