PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bell 206 - Common errors, performance, handling & C of G characteristics...
Old 5th Feb 2011, 15:54
Aucky

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bell 206 - Common errors, performance, handling & C of G characteristics...

For the benefit of people who are 206 rated with low hours on type, or interested in becoming rated.....

Could those of you with vast hours experience on type suggest common things to watch out for that could catch a less experienced pilot out? with regards to the start, loading & C of G, any handing characteristics (VRS, limited power checks, loss of TRE, Blade sailing etc... ).

One example that I recently read is that if you were to accidentally do the throttle full and free travel check with the fuel pumps & batt on, then the residual fuel in the chamber on start would be sufficient to lead to a hot start. Or that the time that might catch you out with a hot start is the second spike on the TOT as opposed to the primary run up... And ensuring before start that the batter power is sufficient to keep the starter motoring until approx 60% N1 (is there a way or if in doubt use a GPU). I vaguely remember somebody telling me that the governor can behave in slightly unexpected ways in a peddle turn, and that if your not careful it may close the throttle in a right hand peddle turn to maintain rpm relative to the fuselage, then droop the rpm when stopping the turn as the turbine is slow to spool up again (unlike the piston ships)....

Anything tips, or instructional points that over the years you has helped you to fly the aircraft safely and without incident, that are not necessarily stated in the manual or checklists

Much appreciated, Aucky