PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Not sure which route to take...
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2011, 01:37
Servo

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
Are you asking which route to take, or which is the fastest into a nice shiny big jet?

Biggest thing I have found with most gen Y pilots, is they want it yesterday, not willing to wait or go the yards. If you try and cut corners it will come back and bight you.

Personally I finished my CPL, got twin and MECIR, then went to work for a local operator initially in the office, driving clients, washing aircraft BUT getting paid for it. Finally when a position came up, got my first charter.

When they went bust, moved up to NT, knocked on a few doors and because I had experience on type from the previous operator got a look in.

Operator/Owner was an absolute pr$ck. He had a good fleet though. Worked very hard, more experience. Had a ball. Loved the NT especially the fishing

From there got a position in Geo Survey. Again very long days, hot, humid and rough at low level. Worked with some awesome people. Some of the best flying I have ever done.

Now as a training captain with an airline, all that experience is worth it's weight in gold. Seeing some of the younger and older crew come in, with very little real world experience, they struggle.

I have seen so many people give up because they were not handed a job on a silver platter. Waste of time and money. Hard work and determination will FINALLY see you where you want to be.

The journey getting there is half the fun! Good Luck.

Last edited by Servo; 5th Feb 2011 at 03:07.