PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pre Flight test leading to Disaster
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2011, 23:00
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm sure I remember reading of a pilot who misdiagnosed an electical fire as an engine fire, turned off the engine instead of the master switch, then crashed and died.
Gertrude

So what? You have found another one who isnt up to it? Ok we all make mistakes but even taking what you say and the guy switched off the engine why crash and die and why mistake an electrical fire for an engine fire? Panic?

I have been in that situation with an air duct fan fire in a citation at night. 24000 feet mid channel heading to the Balearic isles. The smoke was so dense and choking you could hardly see a couple of feet.
We handled it correctly and landed at Biggin Hill met by the emergency services. Had to throw my clothes away they were so polluted by that accrid smoke. Smoke like that in the dark not a good experience.

But that is what our passengers private or commercial should expect from us and I am nothing special.

But an oil cover??? Poor sod should never have been flying that aircraft! Why? simply he wasnt up to it!

Pace

Last edited by Pace; 4th Feb 2011 at 23:25.