PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pre Flight test leading to Disaster
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2011, 22:52
Fuji Abound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pace

Yes, there is an element of truth.

We committ our lives totally to others rarely, but every time we get in a car we make that committment. There is no easy answer. I recall the line from Top Gun - something along the line the US government trust me so that better be good enough for you. Well every time an examiner issues a PPL or driving licence they "trust" that person to carry passengers. No one says when you get in a car with a licensed driver the risks may be way beyond those you consider acceptable. Depending on how you assess risk the risks of private flying may be greater, but statistically the risk is so small both are in the noise, even if the one more than the other.

Are commercial pilots likely to do a better job than a PPL - yes, undoubtedly, they are more current and their training more focused. I guess a HGV driver or a taxi driver is likely to do a better job than you or me ont he roads.

I doubt there are many people who dont understand there is a risk associated with flying light aircraft. I cant think of anyone who is not a pilot that have joined me who were not aware they were partaking in a "risky" activity. Isnt flying light aircraft dangerous? In fact if anything I would assess their perception of the risk to be way out of proportion with the actual risk.

Frankly I am fed up with the way we molly coddle adults.

I think the requirements for a PPL adequate and proportionate. It is good enough for one of the most regulated industries - and it is good enough for me.

but I do point out that standards for amateur and professional pilots are not the same.
They are not, but why should they be?

The demands placed on a professional pilt are quite different. On the one hand the pilot is operating in a multi crew complex enviroment usually in an aircraft that is unlikely to fair well should a forced landing be necessary and one in which cascade and complex failures are more likely. On the other hand the typcal PPL flying a SEP will utlimately be far more dependent on basic stick and rudder skills when things go wrong, cascade failures will be very rare and multi crew skills irrelevant. The greatest risk to a PPL is allowing their stick and rudder skills to erode or to committ to IMC without being prepared and current - avoid these fundamental mistakes and almost every accident is avoidable or can be mitigated to damage limited.