PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The F4 vs Modern Fighters
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2011, 14:39
Geehovah

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did The TESS Trials

The thing on the side of the Iranian F4 in TEEJ's 4th picture was just the rearview mirror. The Iranians mounted them 10 o clock and 2 o clock. We just had a single mirror at the 12 o clock.

TESS was different and was introduced by CTTO and I flew the evaluation sorties in RAFG in April 81 with a certain GC in the front. the Trial was called "Eagle Eye" - I wonder why!!!!

As you rightly say Beagle, the prototype was a chopped down tank sight and it was mounted on a metal panel which replaced the clear panel. The prototype was actually mounted on the right hand side of the aircraft. Can't recall why it was switched over to the other side. It may have been something to do with the fact the probe was on that side or it may have been my moaning about getting the nav hand controller up my nostril under G.

TESS was boresighted down the weapons line so when you put the sidewinder dot in the middle the target was in the scope. It had about 7 degrees field of view I seem to remember but memories are vague now! I recall that it was difficult ergonomically to lean over the navs hand controller with it on the right. I also remember that I spent a lot of time during those sorties in LFA3 in Germany peering down the shuftie scope. We were asked to determine detection ranges and positive ident ranges at low level overland. Closing from 20 miles into a standard hook attack, eye glued to the TESS with the world revolving in mono was an experience I didn't repeat. Somehow the F4 air conditioning couldn't quite offer enough cold air to compensate for the beads of sweat. The "bag" was close by just in case. Tactics evolved to a quick peek at the right moment.

All that said, the concept was a masterpiece of ingenuity.

Last edited by Geehovah; 4th Feb 2011 at 15:01.