PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gulf Air Developments
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2011, 12:29
mutt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
where are you right now?
A little bit to the south of you, but usually I'm a little bit to your west side

or if you work a NORMAL job
A normal job is a job in my own country, I work as an EXPATRIATE, hence my surprise that you consider housing to be a financial benefit in your employment package, to me its a necessity for your employer, especially as your aren't permitted to purchase property (in some places.) I saw a number of colleagues who joined Emirates and took the housing allowance, over the years they have moved from 3 bedroom villas to apartments as the rents sky rocketed and their allowances didn't.

Judging by the construction developments that we see in Bahrain and the limited amount of land, I would envisage that anyone planning a career in GF will see housing costs escalate over the coming years. (Btw, some of the places to the east of the airport look amazing from the air ) That's why I wouldnt be too keen on basing my income on that expected Housing Allowance.

If we look at the 2100BD ($5565/Euro 4000 TAX FREE) without flying, I'm presuming that this is for the right seat of an A320. Is it that great? Especially considering that a beer in the Movenpick will cost you $8......

Ashcroft79, in this part of the world, it isn't only the money that you have to consider, but the complete package. I would hazard a guess that the same $5565 would go further in Amman than Riyadh and Bahrain. GFA are offering schooling and the right to bring your family, I dont think that NAS offer the same. Then there is the question of time off, NAS were offering 6 weeks on 2 off (I think), but now they appear to be offering 11 months on 1 month off....... trust me, 11 months is a long long long time in Saudi What about GFA? Can any of them be considered a commuting contract? What about upgrade time/policies? etc etc

There is no easy answer as there are pro's and con's to each of these companies and countries....but i would suggest that you do serious research before coming to this part of the world. It's not for everyone

Mutt