PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways DEP Selection - THE lowdown Part 1
Old 4th Feb 2011, 11:24
NigelOnDraft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm in BA, and when a mate failed the selection process, I chatted to one of the Recuitment Managers, pointing out that IMO he was a better prospect in BA than me

The response was that, given in almost all instances the excess of suitable applicants over places, was to ensure that all who got in were "suitable". Not necessarily "the best". Ensure the unsuitable did not get in. The consequence of that is plenty who are suitable are rejected. Either through a "bad day", a personality clash between one of the interviewers and the applicant, or just bad luck. So for those who do not make it, there is not necessarily a "problem" with you... the numbers game is just against you. You are not competing against a fixed standard (e.g. that required for an IR pass), but just how do we select X from X times a lot

While we're at it
performed as per Instrument Rating standards
in BA Sims we are assessed on a 1-4 scale. 4 is a "fail", both in BA and IR terms. 3 is a "Basic" and although a "pass", will get you a phone call 2 is "BA Standard", and 1 means you a trainer or bribed the checker (and gets you a letter!). So just meeting IR standards is not really enough, and given the competition in applications, a 2 or even 1 equivalent is probably required

PS and the mate above got in at the next application