PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Passenger Carrying - Beyond 90 days
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2011, 09:59
peter272

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just to clarify my earlier statement that seems to have gone awry in translation.

I am like most of us in that I don't always slavishly follow rules just because they are rules - I do tend to drive faster than I should, and sometimes I fly in conditions I really shouldn't have done.

What is clear, though, is that sometimes we are our own worst enemies and through lack of skill or knowledge or through over-confidence we push the limits from time to time.

I was at a Devon Strut meeting where Brian Lecomber made just that point. A highly experienced display pilot he actively sought out critiques of his display sequences. On one occasion he was shocked when someone pointed out just how close he had been to touching a wingtip when he thought he had a lot more space.

His point was that we as pilots should from time to time do the same before bad habits and sloppiness get us into trouble.

All of us whinge about the bi-annual instructor flight and will do almost anything to avoid having to do a check-out or LST.

Yet if you go to a gliding club all pilots, even the best, will have an annual flight and, if the CFI considers the conditions too 'interesting' on the day will suggest that a pilot doesn't fly or flies with an instructor. That goes for private owners too.

But in our world, once we are PPLs we tend to become precious about our skill and experience. We fly to the limits of the guidelines and think that that covers us legally.

My personal view is that we could be a lot less defensive about checkouts or asking for a critique of our technique. Whether or not that involves the 90-day rule or LASORS or the ANO I don't much care.