PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Military madness; Why?
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2011, 07:06
Whenurhappy

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Part of the problem is the lack of any personnel on projects (military or civil service) with a jot of commercial experience. The IPT 'Commercial' Officers (Contract Officers in old speak), typically B or C grade, have no, repeat no commercial savvy.

I had the dubious experience of having to run the family business (a small engineering firm) at a moment's notice from a young age before I joined the Service; at least I learned about the difference between an invoice and a statement; basic tax principles (eg the difference between sales tax exempt and zero-rated sales tax), the need to determine a fixed price before placing an order, basic industrial relations and basic contract law - basic business dog-f*k that in my experience, few civil servants and military have any knowledge of.

For example, years later working in the RAF Infrastructure Organsiation, I was shocked to find few of the 'Works' officers had ever ventured on to a building site, let alone having any knowledge of procurement, design and construction (the default was, 'we use a consultant') thus had absolutely no idea what things actually cost to procure or build. The Screwfix catalogue was a revelation to many - 'Oh, so a shower cubicle only costs that much?' The 'professional' DE personnel were rarely any better. I subsequently served as Customer 1 for a large programme and remained similarly shocked with the naivety of so many people on the customer side.

Whilst in Afghanistan a few years ago I attended a meeting on the expansion of KAF; the US and Canadians have extremely experienced civil engineers there; the RAF had a young officer who had done a week-long Exped Ops course and had previously served as OC PSF. It was not only cringing to see the reactions of our Allied professionals to her lack of knowledge; it was professionally embarrasing to the Service.

Luckily I have moved in to more interesting work over the most of the last 10 years, but I have little confidence that the situation has improved. I stand to be corrected.

Last edited by Whenurhappy; 4th Feb 2011 at 09:10.