PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - These Psychometric Tests
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2011, 02:41
scarrymike

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talent ???

Here is a true story from one of many flight instructors/ check pilots I have had. I'll call him Mort. Mort taught me instrument skills and signed me off for my IFR ticket which I passed. Mort was a US Air Force Pilot (transports like the 141). He flew large corporate aircraft after his retirement from the airforce. I don't think he was impressed with my skills as a pilot. I asked him if he thought I had the talent to be a commerical pilot. Mort said I could better than many pilots he had flown with over the years because I was cautious and never exceeded my ability. Then he said, I was about average on "talent". He said the most talented pilot he ever met was a son of an airline pilot. The kid was 16 and had no real interest in flying, yet his dad insisted he take lessons. The kid rarely showed any interest in school or sports so Mort claimed. The dad and the kid claimed no prior flight training for the kid before Mort started on him. Mort claimed he could have soled the kid at 5 hours just on flying skills but the kid could not be coached to use a checklist or do a preflight because he had no real interest. At 15 hours the kid was flying in real IFR down to minimums with real crosswinds, (with Mort in the right seat). At 25 hours the kid could do all the commerical level manuvers. This, Mort claimed, was real talent. Would the kid make a good pilot? No because he had no interest claimed Mort. The last Mort heard the kid failed the Private Pilot test.

These tests don't test, "talent."