PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Servo-control reversibility and G limits
View Single Post
Old 3rd Feb 2011, 17:14
RVDT

Location: After all, what’s more important than proving to someone on the internet that they’re wrong? - Manson
Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts
I think part of the problem is in people accepting the design philosophy of the aircraft.

During original flight testing it was probably found that the feedback forces and loading on parts of the blade and flight controls could have become extreme or unacceptable.

Understand that the 350 Series is really no different from an Alouette 2 except in the construction technique and materials used.

The impetus being on low maintenance (in the comparative sense) and high life on components. Also in the background would be lower manufacturing cost as well of course.

The hydraulic pressure was limited on purpose from information I have read.

Understand that all these feedback forces have to be transmitted through the root end of the blade. Initially most of the rotor components - Starflex, Sleeves, Blades etc had very high or no finite fatigue life. That has changed over the years with in service experience. The blades are still (I think) "on condition" i.e. no finite life. Strangely though EC will not exchange blades with more than 13,000 hours on them!

If these forces are not allowed to feed back as a kind of built in warning or safety measure and of course dual hydraulic machines have the "LIMIT" warning, who knows what it may do to the component lives.

The alternative of making things heavier or re-designed is possibly not viable. The manufacturers and certification authorities have deemed that what they are doing is acceptable.

Yes the jacks can stall, yes it says so in the flight manual.