PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Servo-control reversibility and G limits
View Single Post
Old 3rd Feb 2011, 16:19
Devil 49
"Just a pilot"

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
If the EC120 works like an AS350, you'll see the phenom as follows, when you attempt a maneuver:
Cyclic 'stops' in an axis, usually left, by feedback. I never tried to 'push thru' the feedback, I don't know if it's worse than hydraulics off.
Collective resists increase.
Releasing control pressure, roll out and less reduce collective, less G, and everything is normal.
Don't push the maneuver limit without an immediate escape route open. I was 'hotdogging' every time, save once, when I've encountered servo transparency or limit lights. The single occurrence was in a max continuous power cruise- high, hot, and heavy- after a descending, right turn away from a vulture. Attempted a normal, unaggressive, non-aerobatic recovery to cruise, and the pig wouldn't roll left until I backed out a little collective.
The 355's "Limit" light is just that. Dual-hydraulics, one system (#1?) nears/at a load limit, you get a caution panel segment, but the controls feel and react normally. Same StarFlex, blades, etc. as the 350... I don't buy the "protects the StarFlex" story. The servo transparency issue is a hangover from the smaller, cheaper, Eurocopter Ecureuil days, like the rubber-band driven hydraulic pump.