PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MFTS - 'Getting Sticky'
View Single Post
Old 3rd Feb 2011, 16:01
BEagle

Received 271 Likes on 110 Posts
SORF/RFS was excellent fun; I was lucky enough to have 3 sessions! One between Cranwell and my Gnat course, another after my abortive Buccaneer course and the last when going from the Vulcan to the F-4.

Not only was the flying superb, but so was the attitude and the crew room 'experience'. You'd often get Wing Commanders appearing from the bowels of the MoD-box to go back on flying acting like Flying Officers. During my second RFS session, an ATC chap told me in the bar that he'd watched 2 of the wicked old buggers indulging in a spot of Harry Doggers when they were supposed to be doing some night flying solo trip...

The added value from mingling with most senior officers in the crew room was superb. They had a wealth of war stories and were keen to share their experience with others.

One day I was talking to colleagues and mentioned that "There was a good article in one of the Flight Safety magazines about some clot who'd flown a Swift through some trees in Germany back in the 1950s due to press-on-itis"....

"Indeed", said the quiet voice of an Air Commodore, "That clot was me - but you're absolutely right". He then told us the story - fascinating!

But another was a miserable old sod. He came back off the first trip of the day one Monday and his QFI offered him a post-flight cup of tea - which he accepted. Poking about in the fridge, the QFI uttered an oath and said "There's no milk, would you like coffee mate?"

To which came the response, "Young man, there is a limit to informality!"

"Sorry, Sir", replied the QFI, "There's no milk, Sir - would you like Coffeemate in your tea, Sir?"

Last edited by BEagle; 3rd Feb 2011 at 17:50.