PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tracing back a WWII RAF pilot
View Single Post
Old 3rd Feb 2011, 15:17
ARXW

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Reg. Vassilis Vassiliades or Basil as he is officially listed. He was a relatively well recorded fighter pilot with the RAF from Athens. I recall reading an entire article on him in a Greek magazine only last year. He was from an island shipping family and his father a captain I believe. He went to school to become a merchant navy captain too. At the outbreak of war he went to England and was known to be a ladies man...

He is well mentioned in Clostermann's epic book but I don't have it with me but from memory Clostermann is saddened at the pointless death and the unlucky direct hit on "poor Vass". He is also critical. Vass was a fighter pilot of considerable stature and one of Greece's highest scoring aces (10 kills i believe). Aggressive (as his former CO called him) he most certainly was as he was very brave. Unfrotunately that is NOT always a good thing and his aggressiveness cost his life and the life of his wingman a few weeks before the end of the war when going up against the maelstrom of flak in search for targets in an ever shrinking "Free 3rd Reich"...The ambience of Clostermann's book in the last few months of Tempest ops is superlative and very poignant. The AAA losses were terrible in what were certainly elite fighter units (the two Tempest wings) flying a superlative fighter...yet the chances were dwindling the longer one pitted himseld day in and day out against the terrible German flak...