PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thomas Cook recruiting
View Single Post
Old 3rd Feb 2011, 12:13
Bernoulli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The airline is fine and a good place to work with a lovely bunch of people in the cockpit. With rare exception those working in the cabin are good too.

However... TCX is just a relatively small part of a much bigger organisation and it's the way we at the coal face are dealt with by HQ down at Peterborough that is so demoralising. Practices and procedures are imposed by diktat upon the Airline, whether they suit or not, in pursuit of a 'one size fits all' approach. The higher 'managers' at Peterborough are presently giving a masterclass in pissing off their employees.

The final salary pension scheme is being closed.

They have outsourced payroll to a comedy outfit called 'Accenture' who go from one cock up to the next. The latest fiasco is that we've just discovered they've been ignoring HMRC tax codes and consequently I (and many others) had thousands of pounds in back tax taken from our latest pay. One chap's pay was down £5k. No warning, no communication, just done as an administrative procedure without thought of the consequence to the individual. Phone Payroll's 'helpline' and you're through not to a lady working within the airline who may have an understanding of the issue but to a call centre in Bangalore. Ever tried to describe a complex tax issue that you barely understand yourself to someone thousands of miles away etc etc?

Travel concessions have been unilaterally slashed. Corporate yukspeak portrays the changes as a good thing, but they're not. Most of the ex MYT people used their diminishing concessions against holidays with the more interesting parts of the Group, for example Cresta. All opportunity to experience the more esoteric and better things on offer has been removed. We are now limited to the mainstream product and can only book these a few weeks in advance. So, in practice that means we're left with whatever bucket 'n' spade packages they've got left and can't sell. AKA 'distressed stock.'

To sum up; the Airline's fine but the workforce is becoming de-motivated by the unilateral actions of a distant and unresponsive Group. At least that's how I see it. Perhaps someone else from TCX would care to give an opinion. I've phrased it mildly but I can assure you that feelings are running pretty high.

Proud to work for Thomas Cook? I don't think so. (Airline in joke).