PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Considering my future - please advise
View Single Post
Old 3rd Feb 2011, 09:42
CAT3C AUTOLAND

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
laakDown,

Firstly there is some sound advice and good points from ExcelXLS Driver in his post, I particularly like this comment..

My belief is that if you really want something, work hard and be persistent, as opportunities are out there.
This is so, so true, but you will not appreciate it until it happens to you. Believe me mate, we have all been in your situation when we started.

As an inexperienced pilot, and a person who is seeking the 'best' way forward, you will be advised by a lot of people throughout your journey. Some of this advice will be sound advice and some will not. You have to realise that the people giving you this information are basing it on their own experiences. Of course some guy or girl who popped out of OAA at the age of 20 and went straight to BA on the A320 are going to advise you that this is the way forward, however, there perspective will be of someone who has had little life experience and doesn't appreciate the perspective of someone who is 7 or 8 years older and followed a different route. Everyones circumstances are different.

Firstly, from what you have written, I would take one step at a time. I appreciate you are deliberating over the OAA and modular route. I have to agree with Excel over this, don't base it on false hopes on getting a job, after training with a particular organisation. At the end of the day, all approved CAA schools will provide you with the tools to make you eligible to be employed i.e. a CPL/IR and ATPL credits. You must do what is right for you.

Once you have finished your licences the whole picture may be very different. From here you can then make those important decisions about what to do next.

This industry has always been competitive so that is something you will have to accept. However, I think the rewards from job satisfaction make the hard work you have to put in worth it.

Work hard, make contacts, keep current and keep the dream alive. It won't be easy, but as Excel stated, you will achieve your ambitions if you keep focused.

All the best.