PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Effect of aircraft being struck by lightening
Old 3rd Feb 2011, 09:40
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pilots of unprotected fiberglass or composite aircraft should not fly anywhere near a lightning storm or in other types of clouds, because non-thunderstorm clouds may contain sufficient electric charge to produce lightning.
With my own lightning strike experience it explains to me why I seemed to be chased down the approach into Dublin by flashes, as I suspected the aircraft was setting them off.
The above snippet explains that it doesnt have to be a CB to experience a lighning strike other clouds with enough electrical charge will do so.
It warns of the danger of composite aircraft especially those that have not had full lightning protection.
This is relevant especially to gliders as they tend to circle around CBs towering cumulus or large cumulus looking for lift yet they are the most vulnerable to lightning strikes.
My own in a Seneca only caused temorary loss of the radios. It appears that if you have a metal aeroplane with a metal prop you are fairly safe if you fly a composite or part composite part metal beware if it has not been properly lightning protected.

Pace