PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL- Spin Training
View Single Post
Old 3rd Feb 2011, 07:31
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spinning used to be used as a cloud break method pre war (not that i was around then) but it was stable, slow speed and allowed an aircraft to descend through cloud in a fairly set position.

I can remember reading a report of a flight test on a four seater canard. The test pilot got into a flat spin and as the aircraft was the only test machine they had he tried to save it by climbing out and putting his weight on the canard. That failed by which time he was too low to bail out. He stayed with the aircraft which spun harmlessly onto a beach with only minor damage and none to the pilot.

I am cautious of pilots being taught to drive aeroplanes rather than to fly. Flying is about knowing your aircraft and what it will do or can do if misused.
We all know a spiral dive which is a much more violent manouvre than a spin.
Really its about confidence in being trained to appreciate all your aircraft is capable of doing.

Go into multi engine stalling and the possibility of adding unequal power on recovery and you have the danger of a spin. IMC is another area.
I appreciate there may be more spinning accidents while training to do them.
I appreciate a spin will be different 2 up compared to a loaded 4 seater but those are not arguements against spin training. They may be arguements about what you train in? and with who?

But to turn out a well trained and rounded pilot he needs to know all that his aircraft is capable of doing. He needs to be taught to FLY not drive aeroplanes.

Pace