PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Not sure which route to take...
View Single Post
Old 3rd Feb 2011, 06:07
MyNameIsIs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got my first job in THE capital city..... of an overseas country

foodstamps, whilst we can give you plenty of advice based on what we have done and seen, which may help you out, the ultimate decision is yours.

What I find interesting is that you have stated:
"For example I head north and like one mate I spend all of 2011 up there unsuccessful being at the wrong place at the wrong time and dont get a job."
and
"My other options.... Instructor Rating........ I had friends who were struggling to find work (some of which gave up), and others who were lucky to fly 5 hours a week."

Think for a second- you just said you have friends that have stuggled in both cases. Have you had friends succeed in either/both???

Instructing is something I can see myself doing and I'd like to imagine myself being a good instructor to my students
Maybe, without trying to influence your decision, but it sounds like deep down you might know what you want to do?

Whether you go bush or instruct, you will have to fork out the money for either the MECIR or Instructor Rating. And where do you want to go after that- to a job that requires an MECIR? Think about things like that.
What about trying the bush road for a year or two, and if you dont like it then go for the instructor rating; or the other way around? Its probably a bit of extra money to spend, but it will give you a taste of both.

For what it's worth, I suggest the charter way- only because its what I have done and my biased opinion. Loved my journey so far.
I did think about instructing, but didn't think I personally had the patience for teaching.

No matter what you chose though, you MUST get out there in person, face to face with all the companies that you would like to work for. Do not expect a job offer in response to just emailing them your CV- it does happen but rare.
The right attitude will take you far. Good luck.