PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LHR Inebriated DL Pilot Sentenced to Six Months
Old 2nd Feb 2011, 23:22
rodthesod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,

I wasn't going to get involved in this but here goes.

Thank you Brian for reminding us of Capt. Lyle Prouse's story which I followed some time ago - I didn't contribute at the time because others were expressing my sentiments so eloquently.

20 years ago I was a practicing alcoholic in charge of pilot training for a UK airline. My downhill path accelerated rapidly after I was demoted for making a clerical error which I promptly admitted, not because I was drunk when I made it, but my 'alcoholic character defects' permitted me to take on too much of a 3rd party training task without additional training staff. Furthermore my need for alcohol would not allow me to work at maximum efficiency on all the paperwork after a 16 hour 'sim' and office day. About 6 months later I lost my driving licence for the second time, yet another marriage was breaking up and heart problems seemed likely to lead to loss of licence.

To cut a very long story short, for the first time in my 50 years I was brought to my knees and I was 'pushed' into asking for help - so terribly against my character! I stopped drinking and 'joined' AA. I haven't had a drink since. My marriage, which was doomed from the start, failed anyway (anyone who marries a practicing alcoholic thinking they can 'reform' him is not a well person). My company saw how I was rebuilding my life and helped me in many ways (none of which cost they nor the taxpayer a penny). Eventually I was promoted back to Head of TRTO and I was even given a couple of bonus years after my normal retirement for which I am most grateful. I remarried another recovering alcoholic who I met in AA and we have enjoyed 7 happy years of retirement here on the Turquoise Coast of Turkey. My daughter from that last marriage doesn't remember me as a drinker, but as a loving, caring, supportive Dad who's a bit cranky at times but never criticises her - ever. She's in her penultimate year of medical training and is doing very well.

Today my 69th birthday present was starting chemotherapy for 4th stage lung cancer which has spread to my spine and other areas. My wife started chemo 2 weeks ago also for lung cancer - even though I stopped smoking 20 years ago and she 10. All the experts agree that smoking caused it although mine may have been triggered by recent spinal surgery. Neither my wife nor myself have even considered the possibility of taking a drink throughout the past 2 months of a progressive nightmare of tests, travelling 6 hours for more tests on a more or less daily basis and worsening revelations. Our prognosis is about 18 months if we're lucky and the chemo works - but our stubborn 'alcoholic' character traits will probably allow us to prove the experts wrong.

The first point I'm making here is that being an alcoholic isn't all bad. What I did when I was compelled to drink by a demon I could not understand is unforgiveable. Because I was good at my (flying) job I was forgiven the occasional misdemeanor - usually not turning up for work on time through 'gastric' problems. Oh yes I've noticed comments about mouthwash - I've never known an alcoholic who hasn't tried to mask the smell of booze with it.' I've flown formation aerobatic displays when I would have been several times over the legal limit for driving in the UK - and got away with it.

As an alcoholic in recovery I've been privileged to be able perform a few minor miracles - I've been able to help other alcoholics to achieve lasting sobriety and happiness. People beyond the help of family, doctors, treatment centres, self-help literature - you name it. I've had the first successful marriage of my life - the other 3 were disasters. If the big C takes us I can honestly say that our sober years have been the best of our lives, but I think we'll beat it because we both have work to do - helping others.

Secondly, it is my honest belief that no alcoholic will get the help they need unless they, like me, reach an 'emotional 'rock bottom' and are able to 'honestly' ask for help. I've seen alcoholics come from a 'physical' death's door only to pick up a drink as soon as they had the strength. I've seen others (with the same physical symptoms) make full and lasting recoveries when they'd prayed for death as a relief from the emotional pain and anguish they suffered - they found the best help they could ever get 'free' in AA.

My third point is this. The subject Captain of this thread was wrong and I'm sure deserves his sentence. I'm not going to get into a debate over 'leniency' or 'punishment fitting the crime'. What I sincerely wish is that the consequences of his 'driven' actions will bring him to the emotional rock bottom I mentioned; if that happens he's in the right place - the homeland of A.A. and there is nothing to stop him rebuilding his life. He may even find the help he needs in jail - I've visited enough UK prisons and attended A.A. in the USA to know he can. If he is bolstered up by 'do-gooders' who take away some of his emotional pain - his chances are far less than average. This non-fatal episode may be the best thing that could have happened to him.

Finally, I have to say that some of the comments on this thread demonstrate the almost universal ignorance of alcoholism that exists. The only doctors and psychiatrists I know who have an understanding of the 'disease' are those fellow alcoholics of mine and those who come to recovering alcoholics for advice. I used to be full of Yorkshire pride, but after Harold Wilson, John Prescott and the comments of one of the posters above, I sometimes want to crawl into a hole in shame - but I don't.

“There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance—that principle is contempt prior to investigation.”
—Herbert Spencer

Last edited by rodthesod; 2nd Feb 2011 at 23:29. Reason: typo