PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Passenger Carrying - Beyond 90 days
View Single Post
Old 2nd Feb 2011, 22:08
G-BHZO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Peter,

A fair point and one that was expected...

Firstly, let me just clarify that after realising some time ago that I could be at risk of either being illegal for taking passengers, or would need to do circuits beforehand just to get legal again, I started making sure I did at least 3 take-offs (and usually 3 landings, although sometimes a couple more ) each trip. As a result, I now maintain at least 3 take-offs / landings within the previous 60 days, due to the more stringent club requirements. Hopefully, I least win some points for having that level of awareness. I will also explicitly state that I have not actually taken passengers illegally, as I have taken steps to maintain the required currency. I am also acutely aware of the implications on my insurance if I decided to go out of currency and that the blame for any incident occurring on such a trip would rest with me as a result.

Secondly, I am sure I am one of many PPL club members who can't afford (time and money) to fly as regularly as I would like. I would like to think that I am aware of the limitations that my relative lack of currency creates, and consciously keep my trips within the scope of my talent. Of course, it is difficult to be objective on this, but I use a few 'sense checks' to try and keep things in perspective:

- Where my 60 currency has expired in the past, I have renewed it with some time with an instructor. The feedback has always been very positive and they have never had any hesitation on 'signing me off' to fly.

- I have a night qualification but decided to let it lapse, as I felt that my lack of currency could be a risk. I didn't want to have it as a 'get out of jail' card that I could use to get myself home... I would rather plan to be back in daylight hours and avoid the added risk. Likewise, I did 15 hours of IMC training but decided not to complete it for the same reason as above: my lack of currency coupled with the temptation to pull the IMC out of my case to get me home in crappy weather would likely end the wrong way.

- I try to set myself very high standards and always look back on every trip to see what I could have done better. I will happily ask an instructor if I am not sure of something before going, or to see if I could have handled something (eg a recent go around) better.

- My trips are generally free of drama... I don't get lost, I am confident on the radio, I am not a 'burden' on other parties (destination airfields, ATC, other aircraft) and I haven't had any complaints from my passengers or the club.

So, Peter, you are probably correct in that my currency could be better, however I believe I am mitigating it well with the above points. I would be interested to know how this compares to other PPLs of similar currency.

>> Edited to add that I don't believe my airmanship has deteriorated, in fact I would say it has improved with experience. Obviously I would say that, but I am trying to be objective and self-critical.