PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thinking about gliding
View Single Post
Old 2nd Feb 2011, 17:51
thing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't got a PPL but have done plenty of thrumming around in light aircraft. Gliding is infinitely more interesting from a pure flying point of view. There's not a lot of straight and level lets put it that way...

The point about not being able to go anywhere is an interesting one. How many people with PPL's create somewhere to go because they have a PPL? Or do they have to justify having a PPL by taking folk for the £100 burger? I suspect, I may be wrong, that many people who do a PPL do so purely for the pleasure of flying rather than as a means to an end, such as commuting to work etc. I'm not including pro pilots here obviously. The only name that springs to mind on this forum is IO540 who I believe uses his light aircraft for work as well as pleasure.

Of course each to their own, the sky is big enough for all of us (well....you would think so...) but if you just like being up in the wild blue yonder then I think a lot of people miss a trick by not trying gliding. I've never met a single power pilot who glides that doesn't get an awful lot more out of gliding than they do powered. As I say, it's not a knocking competition, I'm thinking of doing a PPL myself, purely as another flying experience, you can't have too many, but I can't see me being more than a VFR 12 hours a year man.