PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Considering my future - please advise
View Single Post
Old 2nd Feb 2011, 17:50
laakdown

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Considering my future - please advise

So having completed my PPL, built some hours and passed all the ATPL examinations, the most crucial (and most expensive) next step is the CPL/ME/IR and i am so torn what to do. I have the money for it, I wont be in debt afterwards but i really dont want to get stuck in a black hole between completing training and a job for years on end

From what i can tell these are my only chances of employment afterwards :

Ryanair / Easyjet / Airasia : Get past hundreds of other applicants and pay 30 grand

Cathay Pacific : Get more hours, get past thousands of other applicants

BA / Thomson- apparently will be recruiting low hours pilots this year but surely they will come from schools like OAA and be integrated students

Flight Instructor - Do this for a few years and earn nothing and hope things pick up or i get very lucky with the airlines above

Bizjets - My first prefernce but will need to network hard during training and hope something comes up

All in all it seems impossible to rate my chances of getting a job and there will be a lot of praying (worrying) along the way.
So is it worth the risk overall?

I was going to go to Stapleford for CPL etc, is it worth paying 12k extra to go Waypoint at OAA just because the name would give me slightly better prospects?
I have a degree and could get a job in the city and fly for fun but ive been working on this for years because its what ive always wanted to do!

Ive been deliberating this for two years, and feel like decision time is coming! Im 27 and dont want to be 30 with no kind of career in sight please help!