PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Question For The Experts - Use Of Flaps.
View Single Post
Old 2nd Feb 2011, 12:26
Chimbu chuckles

Grandpa Aerotart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lotta **** being posted on this thread - about par for the course for Pprune whenever a technique/technical question has been asked.

For starters any instructor that insists light piston engined aircraft should be flown on 'stabilised approaches' in the same vein as a heavy jet (fully configured at 500') needs belting around the ear 'ole.

A 'stabilised approach' in a Cessna/Piper/Beechcraft is one where the aircraft is slowly decelerating all the way around base/final, with configuration changes taking place at the ideal altitude/speed so that you arrive at 50' at 1.3vs minimum. Maybe a little faster for all the usual reasons.

Final flap selection should take place around 200-300'. If you don't need full flap land at partial flap - if for no other reason than curiosity

Power setting should be a lot less than is seen in 98% of flying school circuits.

Final approach path a steeper than a Papi/Vasis/ILS.

If you're teaching fully configured/1.3vs at 500' STOP INSTRUCTING.

If your instructor is insisting on anything like the above change instructor - if the new one is the same take your $ somewhere else.

The mere fact that above is recommended in a CASA document should be warning enough - most remaining CASA employees are unemployable career failures - the good ones give up and leave. They are the LAST people we should look to for guidance on how to fly light aircraft.

At ANY point on base/final you should be able to make the runway after an engine failure by no other expedient than merely NOT configuring ANYMORE.

That is what is meant by 'not taking the last stage of flap until you KNOW you can make the runway'. Mid base/750'/flaps 10 you should be able to make the runway if the engine fails. Base turning final/flap 20/500' you should be able to make the runway if the engine fails. Mid final/flap 30 you should be able to make the runway if the engine fails.

If a student is truly incapable of selecting a stage of flap, making a slight pitch adjustment and trimming at any altitude above 200' seriously suggest he take up kite flying.

I am serious. You instructors are there to teach people to FLY not manage (in the airline sense of 'manage') especially pre CPL training.

As to turn backs - well don't ya just love the twits who start spouting numbers that suggest its impossible.

"Well if you were taking off into a 30kt hwc..."

Ok hands up who has EVER taken off into a 30kt HWC let alone lately. I have 15000hrs and apart from the odd BIG day during the SE Tradewinds at Port Moresby I don't think I have ever. How did you manage to taxi your C172 to the runway without taking out a hangar/tied down aircraft?

If you did takeoff off into the teeth of this gale you would be still over the runway at 500' and, yes, if you turned back you would likely crash somewhere back along the final approach path for the runway...and I would laugh at you, ridicule you and call you a moron to your face.

If you killed yourself I would feel great satisfaction that you have removed yourself from the gene pool while feeling genuinely sad for any people you took with you.

If you try and turn back in an aeroplane you don't ABSOLUTELY know will do it - or without training and lots of practice - or in conditions where straight aheadish is a better bet - on the spur of the moment - or an engine failure after takeoff is a total surprise - or despite the fact you're incapable of consistently doing a gliding 45 degree bank angle turn at +/- 2-3 kts of the correct speed, just on the first nibble of buffet, at low altitude, BALANCED then see my gene pool comment above.

Seriously.

MOST pilots SHOULDN'T attempt a Turn Back in MOST aircraft MOST of the time.

But SOME aircraft can do it and a properly trained pilot with the requisite skills in one of THOSE aircraft should, I believe, have it in his bag of tricks. Jaba has only sat and watched (he did fly a few at altitude)...one day he might be in a position to add it to HIS bag of tricks. One day he MIGHT find himself in a situation where its an appropriate choice.

Knowing what I know about the Rv10 and with my general experience gliding this aircraft (not just yesterday) if I was departing YRED 07 and had an engine failure would I turn back or put the aircraft into Deception Bay?

You tell me. Note the first approach is a 'normal' glide approach from downwind at 1000'. On each glide approach, including the turn backs, the only things I am changing after engine 'failure' is prop pitch and flaps.

Sorry for the poor quality - youtube reduces the quality and it was late in the day with low light.