PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Armed Forces Degree
View Single Post
Old 2nd Feb 2011, 08:59
Whenurhappy

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Sloqw Roll,

I agree with you that the UoW is unlikely to attract the 'bright young things' lines up for Oxbridge; however there is a strong aspiration amongst many Oxbridge graduands of a career in HM Forces (I was quoted 'about 10%' a couple of years ago). That's fortunate because when I saw the RAF's recuiting attempts a couple of years ago I cringed and was jolly cross. I was in the Graduate Centre at Cambridge having lunch with a friend and noticed that there was a Recruitment Fair on. I wandered around the FTSE 100 company stands - lots of lovelies handingn out smart gizzits. GCHQ were handing out some clever computer game and even the 'Foreign Office' had a desk there. In the corner, near the loos, was the sad RAF stand. A tattoed NCO (short sleeve shirt) and an overwieght and clearly passed over Flt Lt with lunch on his shirt front amnned the stall. A Maths Tripos was showing some interest in the RAF (Maths Tripos - brain the size of a planet, the sort of chap who in earlier years would have been invited to work with 'PLUs on hush-hush work at Bletchly Park' and cracked the enigma code on the back of a fag packet).

The Flt Lt said: 'So your are good at maths, then? Have you considered being a Med Tech - you can even work towards an HNC....'

Nothing against Med Techs but here was someone who had an IQ probably above 160...and that's all the recruiter could suggest If you are reading this, Maths Tripos, are you on 6 or 7 figures pa as an analyst or actuary? Can you give me a job?