PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BMI
Thread: BMI
View Single Post
Old 2nd Feb 2011, 00:30
davidjohnson6

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Morocco routes

From memory, I think LCCs began flying from the UK to Marrakech in late 2005
easyflyer - does your information on the profitability of Marrakech for GB Airways predate this period, or does it include a substantial period during which GB Airways had to compete with LCCs on the Marrakech route ?

I don't have specific knowledge of the market between the UK and Morocco, but can see the potential for BMI to serve the business capital of Casablanca when Royal Air Maroc currently has a monopoly to London. I note in particular that the BMI website is offering a lead-in economy fare on the CMN route at a somewhat higher price than the RAK route, despite CMN being about 15 mins less time in the air

However, with soon to be 5 carriers (weekly frequencies in brackets), namely BMI (x3), BA (x3), Easyjet (x7), Ryanair (x6) and Royal Air Maroc (x5) serving the London - Marrakech market, or 6 if you also count Thomson (x3), I'm wondering whether there really is sufficient demand on this leisure route for all the airlines to make money. What will BMI's marketing proposition / unique selling point be on this route to ensure it gets enough bums on seats at profitable fares ?

Last edited by davidjohnson6; 2nd Feb 2011 at 01:23. Reason: Add weekly frequencies