PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Question For The Experts - Use Of Flaps.
View Single Post
Old 1st Feb 2011, 20:42
Sunfish

Received 90 Likes on 33 Posts
XXX:

The last pilot that I saw "reconfiguring" their flaps close to the ground, destroyed their aircraft. It was repaired, but it wasn't cheap. Everything in front of the firewall tore off. They released the flaps in a go-around and belly-flopped into the ground. They exited the aircraft by stepping out where the windscreen was

I agree, not a good idea. However what I'm talking about was retracting flap on approach at 1.3 Vs. That should provide a slight pitch up and a better glide angle.

Whitts flying has this to say:

Flap Emergency (Instructor)
A simulated emergency-landing situation that deserves instructional attention is that of engine-failure on short final. Create the following situation on a 5000' or more runway. Arrive at short final with full flaps, at least 1500 RPM and the slowest approved approach speed. At 400' take off the power. The student should immediately remove all flaps and use the yoke to maintain the same approach speed. The initial reduction of power should make it obvious that the aircraft will be unable to reach the runway in its full flap configuration. The immediate removal of flaps will cause a sink of nearly 200'. These negatives are soon seen to be offset by the flatter glide and extended glide path made possible by the absence of the flaps. When done smoothly, touchdown should occur about 2000' down the runway. Introduce this procedure shortly before solo. In 35 years this knowledge has prevented at least two off-airport landings by my soloing students at Concord CA..

http://www.whittsflying.com/web/page...e_of_Flaps.htm

I would add that no one has ever taught or shown me that, and I ain't tryin it on my own.