PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LHR Inebriated DL Pilot Sentenced to Six Months
Old 1st Feb 2011, 19:52
YorkshireTyke

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Tyke ... are you best mates with Shell Management ?
No. and I don't necessarily support his viewpoint either, I've 'helped' fellow pilots keep their jobs and continue alcohol free to retirement, rightly or wrongly, water under the bridge now and my lips are sealed, my only platform is that the first drink, which may well lead to alcoholism is self inflicted, and from that I will not waver - don't even try, tough.

.......to dismiss published medical research about a possible genetic predisposition to addiction.
Not at all, the addiction is acknowledged, but the first drink is self inflicted, even if as a result of peer pressure, or other outside pressures. It might be difficult to resist, but nobody - to my knowledge, and correct me if I'm wrong,pls. - FORCES alcohol down anyones' throat, but when the first drink is taken then of course I accept that the inevitable might happen - but the first drink is self inflicted.

So - maybe no one is in fact forcing anyone to drink - but people are pretty much encouraged to have a go at alcohol.
Agreed, but whose decision is it to have a go ?

Self inflicted, for whatever reason.

I rest my case.

QED.

.......fellow sexagenerian.......
I like the sex bit ! but what has age to do with it ? or is this an attempt by the younger generation - armed with iPads - to force their social and alcoholic mores upon us ? ( actually, trying to deal with an iPad is enough to drive anyone to drink )

a definate genetic link between being of the white rose persuasion, and being a bit of a blinkered self opinionated herbert.
Not blinkered but focussed on reality ,and my name isn't Herbert - the rest is spot on, and long may it continue. ( I can spell definite, too. )

Nil Illegitimum Carborundum

Last edited by YorkshireTyke; 1st Feb 2011 at 23:26.