PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Whats the worst conditions for PPL Flying?
Old 4th Sep 2002, 07:18
Aussie Andy
PPruNaholic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yet another fabulous PPRUNE thread! I've enjoyed reading this...

When I first got my PPL I set about exploring, together with another recently qualified PPL, and soon our confidence levels for various conditions improved. For instance, when clearly separated heavy showers are forecast and airspace dfoesn't present any problems, we became confident of finding our way around these and thence regaining planned track after, or adapting a modified plan, etc.

You've got to push your personal envelope(s) to discover what you're comfortable with, but the trouble is, some "early successes" can lead to gaining too much confidence. Suffice to say that I have since learned from some "experiences" and am now probably a lot more cautious of wx than when I first got the license!!!

I agree with others that visibility is the one that, these days, most often gives me pause for thought. I became initially comfortable with what I call "poor vis" (i.e. anything from about 8km down). I flew once from Wycombe to Sywell in what was forecast to be 8km, but later on when going back over Cranfield's METARs I learned that it had gotten downj to 5km... and I have to say it was a challenge for a while there, but didn't cause me too much worry at the time. Since then however, I have had a "learning experience" (which I reported in this forum) involving sudden entry into unforecast coastal sea-fog conditions which caused me to have to make a 180 turn on the instruments as we have been trained to do... it worked, but it shook me.

Last week, I was down in Guernsey and had wanted to rent a Warrior to take my family over to Alderney for a day-trip. I arranged to do the rental check with an instructor there on Wednesday morning (G'day Andy if you're reading!!) and the ATIS was broadcasting "8km vis"... no worries we thought. Well, once up and levelled off at I think about 2000', and pointing away from the island towards a training area 10NM over the sea to the south west, we couldn't see much I have to say! I'd be surprised if it was as much as 3km, and there was NO horizon. So, we called Approach and returned. I was having to reference the AI for S&L and to make the turns - but this obviously wasn't stressfull with an IR-rated instructor sat next to me! However, if these conditions had have devloped, say on my return from Alderney, with the family onboard - well I hope I would've coped, but I know it wouldn't have been pleasant... (hence I agree with Whirly that changeability of forecast conditions must be takien into account - particularly in coastal areas!).

Hope the anecdote's of interest