PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LHR Inebriated DL Pilot Sentenced to Six Months
Old 1st Feb 2011, 18:28
oldrnU-2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flying While Intoxicated

I was a sponsor for ALPAs program for DUIs, etc. The program worked quite well and gave a pilot a second chance. My father-in-law was an alcoholic, a great man when sober, and that's why I tried to help others-besides being an ex-cop that worked a lot of domestic issues when alcohol was flowing between the combatants.

Tom Cloyd jr., was the son af a very good friend of mine that perished in the B-26 "Carollyn" crash in 1995, the late Great Tom Cloyd.
Tommy flew for America West, and was seen on t.v. getting a convicton of 5 years, not the 6 months that others are getting. His mother is an absolute saint, the classiest lady in the face of adversity and tragedy.
Both her late husband, and Tommy made the national news, but her demeanor was above anything that anyone should have to endure.

Not all of my program cases were a success, but I did try. I absolutely love beer, Irish coffee on a day like today, but I do not go anywhere near a machine of any type after consuming.

When you're a starving first officer (back in the 1970s & 80s) if you didn't go to happy hour, you didn't eat-the free snacks and all. You just had to watch the alcohol intake. Why go to Mc Ds' when you could eat a lot for having bought two beers for a buck?

I am one of "Cloyd's Boys", and I will always feel the pain of seeing what alcohol can do to families, careers, and lives.

Regards to all,

"Not Too"