PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ADS-B, Stuff that I have found.
View Single Post
Old 1st Feb 2011, 15:04
Flying Binghi

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
ADS-B related stuff that i have found...

ADS-B related stuff that i have found.... apparently, we have established that the Oz gov/ASA don't have any agreement with the owners of them magic GPS signal generators that ensures them magic signals keep on coming. And ah see's the Japanese are getting their own GPS sat's up because, in part, they have a concern that them yank GPS sat's will stop with the civvy signal... and yer gotta ask, if the yanks are turning off the civvy signal, wont every other GPS sat owner be doing the same...

So, ADS-B needs GPS for it to work and we have no guarantee of supply of this critical input - a very bad business case just for starters..

In the meantime, before we cargo cultists loose them GPS signals, what will probably happen as pointed out by other posters is we end up with full flight charging - every flight, all flights. The Chaser and OZBUSDRIVER have helpfully pointed out just how safe it is for every pilot to see really flight critical 'traffic' out to 500 miles, or 4 hours, so how can we object..

The other thing that will blossom under the ADS-B system, while we got it, is them civvy UAV operators. UAV's (Unmanned Aerial Vehicles) will more then likely need ADS-B to be able to operate. With the help of ADS-B ah guess civvy UAVs will displace many of the helicopter and fixed wing operators that are currently doing observation work - probably will be hundreds of the things flying around big city's... IMO, a great lark if yer can get it - current aircraft owners pay for the establishment of ADS-B and the UAV operator's just walk in and take the business for free..

...anyway, nuff for now..