PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Question For The Experts - Use Of Flaps.
View Single Post
Old 1st Feb 2011, 14:22
Chimbu chuckles

Grandpa Aerotart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rather absolutist there T28D - do you include Gliders in the statement 'in any aircraft is irresponsible'?

You'd be aware that glider pilots are required to demonstrate a turn back from <300' (if memory serves) in the event of a broken tow rope before they are allowed to solo?

That being the case it would seem to me that its merely a matter of how good a glider you're flying. The RV10 is an exceptional glider. Mr Vans designed one hell of a wing.

Jaba was curious and so was I. I strongly suspected the RV10 would do it with ease and that was how it panned out. After some practice at a safe altitude to blow off the cobwebs (its been decades since I was taught how on an Instructors Rating course - and not long after did one in anger in a C182) we did a couple on takeoff from 06 at YCAB.

Negligible wind. The first time we 'failed' the engine at 500' and we were so high lining up on 24 it would have required aggressive sideslipping with full flap to not over run the end of the runway.

The second time we 'failed' the engine at 400' and still managed to comfortably get around and land on 24. With a little headwind and 15 degrees of flap I reckon 300' would be quite doable. From 600-700' we could have turned left or right and after a short downwind leg turned a further 180 degrees and landed on 12/30.

We allowed a couple of seconds 'reaction time' on each occasion although I fall into the 'surprised when the engine doesn't fail' category and in any of the real engine failures I have had I certainly didn't sit there dumb founded for several seconds.

When I have had time to edit/format the vid I will post it.