PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BMI
Thread: BMI
View Single Post
Old 1st Feb 2011, 13:08
SN146

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can certainly see the similarities to that case and LH is right in going this path as there really is no use in BD being a predominantly shorthaul feeder for LHR, when the LH group can also divert most of the UK regional feed to other hubs of theirs, which is BTW why I'd question the remark from BD's CEO that what they are doing now is only plan B, as it seems nothing but obvious it should always have been plan A from a financial point of view!

I also see a difference to Air UK however: BD will remain a brand of its own with a medium haul network from LHR, operating point-to-point routes from London's main airport to places it can actually make good money from, contrary to using its highly valuable slots at LHR wastefully just to please STAR partners serving LHR by offering regional destinations in the UK...

I think LH is on the good path here, and unless BD's domestic routes are turning a profit, they should all be axed: the planes, slots and staff can better be used to operate from LHR (and other places) directly to key business centres in the EU and the periferal countries, while the connecting traffic from the regions can then all be routed through FRA, DUS, or BRU.

Last edited by SN146; 1st Feb 2011 at 13:21.