PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vortex Ring / Settling with power (Merged)
Old 1st Feb 2011, 11:03
NickLappos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
waragee,
You are absolutely right,That is great advice. I find that to perform low speed maneuvers successfully, one must sense the attitude, speed and power state of the rotor, and not concentrate so much on aircraft attitude or stick positions.

An exercise that I've used to sharpen the skills with understanding how the rotor flies goes like this:

Set the aircraft in a 5 foot IGE hover on a long runway on a very still morning. Use enough collective friction to keep the collective from moving and then relax entirely on it. This is your fixed power point, from now on you will use only speed to govern altitude and approach angle. From this steady hover lower the nose slightly, accelerate forward a few knots, 2 or 3, and note that you begin to climb very slowly. Carefully hold the nose position and climbed slowly to 100 to 200 feet. Now carefully pull back on the stick and raise the nose just enough to begin a slight descent. You will note that this slow gentle descent looks very similar to the very bottom of that approach. Remember you will not move the collective at all. Using only fine adjustments of speed set an approach angle that allows you to descend back to the runway. If your angle is too steep lower the nose very slightly to gain a few knots (two or three) and flatten out the angle. If your angle is too shallow pull back very slightly on the stick raise the nose (loose one or two knots) and steepen the descent angle up. Having started from 200 feet you should find plenty of room along the runway to carefully exercise that area of rotor angle, speed and power right at the edge of translational lift. This is the key place for power management and safety on approaches.

On a long runway on a still morning I have flown with students four approaches (take off ,climbed 200 feet, descent, approach to steady hover) without ever moving the collective pitch. If you could do that you really understand how to fly the rotor's angle and stay out of trouble.