PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vortex Ring / Settling with power (Merged)
Old 1st Feb 2011, 06:59
topendtorque

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Easy way to learn SWP, is attempt to hover with less power than it takes, result, aircraft settles.
VRS, the difference between the two maneuvres is as startling as is the feelings of VRS. We used to call it shooting the tube. quite easy to figure that out. tears to the eyes and the wax outa yer ears.

crab how are you doin?
your quote.

Tet - your link has far less to do with VRS than it does about mishandling when approaching downwind. It would appear that he simply ran out of power and didn't have enough height, speed or power to go around.

Had another look at the numbers to refresh my memory, he went from 100 feet to 70 feet in 30 secs, not much descent rate there.

Very little descent next 11.4 secs as flare at 20 degrees nose up turning to a bank 0f 43 degrees, washing off airspeed.

At that point descent increased dramatically as did his realisation as within 1.1 secs he had got the nose to pitch to slightly nose down from 16.5 degrees up and impact was at between 1320 to 1800 fpm, another 1.5 seconds later. That is much too high a ROD to have built up just from his entry maneuvre or a simple overshot, as it happened from at or below 70 feet.

I feel that I can say again that he got himelf into VRS at about the time he caught up (slowed his ground speed down to) the downwind airspeed and reacted brilliantly to attempt recovery, except that as you say there was just not enough room to recover in the manner which he initiated, which to me was correct. a bit more height and the disc would have cut clean air.

Entering the maneuvre was the problem in the first place, and the reasons why,as we have discussed before, but perhaps a systemic breakdown of the command chain's understanding of the known, practised and aircraft capable maneuvres.

Check a previous post up the page a bit for a cue on this, you will see reference to the billy goat idea that if you have enough power you can pull it through VRS. Hah, the bigger they are the harder they fall

There is another one i'll dig out one day that demonstrates quite neatly the rotor system entering VRS.

Last edited by topendtorque; 1st Feb 2011 at 13:02. Reason: more detail