PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Pacific Cadet Pilot Programme
View Single Post
Old 1st Feb 2011, 02:13
404 Titan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
KeLC13
My dad currently works in Hong Kong now and I always inquire about the living standard and working condition in Hong Kong.
So you have Daddy here to prop you up when you realise you are trapped (bonded) here on pathetic T&C’s. As the cadet scheme has now been opened up to international candidates, cadets with a family here are now a minority. Simply looking at the questions some of the wannabes are putting up here it clearly indicates most people aren’t seriously considering the living costs here with no family to fall back on.

I have heard SO does not make that much, but don't make it sound like you need to beg for money.
I have already posted early last year the true costs of living in Hong Kong as an expat. I suggest you and others read them. If you then choose to ignore what I have said you do it at your own peril. Just remember current local cadets are trying to get housing and other expat terms and having you come here and say “being able to fly outweighs the salary” doesn’t help their cause one little bit. The reality is you are diluting the T&C’s for all new pilots while we’re trying to improve them.
Look at it long term. You'll eventually be promoted and make more.
You are going to have to look real long term if you think you are going to make ends meet here on a SO salary. In the last 11 years the time taken to go from SO to JFO has gone from 18 months to 4 years 1 month currently and it is only going to get worse, even with the new aircraft on order. By the time some of you here will be ready for upgrade to JFO, based on past trends, upgrades will be possibly taking about 5 ½ + years with yearly pay increments stopping at year 4.
It's a little offensive for you to say hobbyists (or you might be referring to me only) pollute the ranks. I believe you need "the drive" to do well on a job and progress with your career. Nothing wrong in being a hobbyist (hence, the drive) and actually being able to fly.
What rubbish. As a professional pilot if you don’t have “the drive”, you won’t make it in this industry. All successful professional pilots have it in spades but we are still here first to make a living. If the financial rewards aren’t so important to you, go get a private licence and fly for a hobby. If you don’t like my bluntness, tough.

Stallone

Hong Kong is a considerably more expensive a place to live compared to Singapore. While you can get a place to live in Tung Chung (at the Airport), the point is having a choice to live where you want in Hong Kong. With no housing assistance your choices are very limited.