PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Pacific Cadet Pilot Programme
View Single Post
Old 31st Jan 2011, 18:01
KeLC13

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
404 Titan:

In fact I was born in HK and also worked there before. My dad currently works in Hong Kong now and I always inquire about the living standard and working condition in Hong Kong. As I said earlier, I will not do it for free as I need to live as well. I have friends working in Hong Kong and a cousin working as a SO. I won't say they live a luxury life, but they are able to survive.
I have heard SO does not make that much, but don't make it sound like you need to beg for money. Look at it long term. You'll eventually be promoted and make more. Another thing is, no one forced any one of us to become a CX employee, right? We made our choice. It's a good way to become a professional pilot.
Perhaps I am a little luckier as my family is in HK.

It's a little offensive for you to say hobbyists (or you might be referring to me only) pollute the ranks. I believe you need "the drive" to do well on a job and progress with your career. Nothing wrong in being a hobbyist (hence, the drive) and actually being able to fly. What is better than making money on a job you like? Yes, the pay may not be great, but it's not only about money (benefits, being able to stay in HK with family, etc.). If financially does not work out, then I don't think one would apply. I am sure people who applied does not just do it for the sake of wanting to fly. It's a career. I am sure we all have put in great thoughts about it before applying.

Anyways, I understand what your concern/frustartion is. Perhaps I wasn't quite clear on what I was trying to say. I apologize for any confusion caused.

Let's focus back on the programme! I am sure many are like me; having a lot of questions and many like you that can provide answers!

Pleasure meeting you!