PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Can someone explain why the MRA4 has been cancelled before we screw up big time.
Old 31st Jan 2011, 15:34
Pig Of The Poke

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tappers Dad

"All the faults you have listed in your post I heard about back in October last year via a reliable source. But I have one to add, when someone was attempting to repair a leaking fuel coupling as they undid the coupling the fuel pipes sprang apart approx 9ins. The pipes were too short to join together and had been forced together putting an intolerable strain on the coupling."
I have to ask if you really and honestly believe that to be true. Do you really believe you can stretch a solid double walled fuel pipe by 9 inches on installation? If you do, you have obviously never been near an aircraft which is being built.

Lets suppose some magical situation where whilst on jacks a pipe is fitted and then when lowered onto the landing gear and fuelled some part of the aircraft magically moves 9 inches relative to another. The fuel pipe clamps are good but not infinitely strong and the pipe would snap instantly. No pipe clamp in existence could hold the multiple tons of force which would be required to put a 9 inch deflection in any direction into a pipe!

PotP