PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 20 Sqn Hunters and pilots-1962 Singapore
View Single Post
Old 31st Jan 2011, 08:12
lpmunroh43

Chieng Mai

I was also at the Chieng Mai knees-up in 1962 as part of the Armament Support team. My task was small arms servicing and issues. Used to trot across to the Ops. tent in the morning with a brace or two of 0.38" Enfield revolvers for the aircrew, and also issue a dozen rounds per pilot of ammo. for the same, which was carefully sealed in a little cardboard box.

The armoury was upstairs in the main terminal building, combined storage, servicing and sleeping accomodation all in one. As the building had no power, night duty armourer was performed with light from a hurricane lamp, wrapped in a blanket. The light attracted every pesky insect from miles around or so it seemed. The blanket gave some protection.

It was a great detatchment, made even better by the few days in Bangkok on the way back to Tengah.

This took place on my first tour at Tengah. I did two further tours, both with 64(F) Sqn. during Confrontation with Indonesia. The third tour also included a four month loan to the RAAF at Darwin, where a team of us worked in a Bomb Dump down the track, servicing 1,000lb. HE bombs.

Wally, nice to see you're still around, trust all is well with you and yours.

Alan Mudge. NAAFI Bar (Hons.)