PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LHR Inebriated DL Pilot Sentenced to Six Months
Old 31st Jan 2011, 07:43
Sir Niall Dementia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In the 1990's when drug and alcohol testing was introduced in the Uk sector of the North Sea some bright spark, I believe from one of the oil companies decided that pilots should have an alcohol level less than the engineers working on the aircraft. The company I flew for decided that was b******s and put the same level on for all staff, be they pilot, engineer, check-in or accounts clerk.

A positive drugs and alcohol testing policy requires a great deal of commitment from all parties. I was a union rep at the time and was amazed at the help programme the company had to sign up to, basically it protected everyone. Someone who failed a test had to be given every opportunity to sort themselves out at the employer's expense. I only know of one failure (not aircrew or engineer) and the full resources were used.

We were taken to the testing facility and given the full tour, all of us left feeling that the whole programme was for our own good.

Any form of addiction is awful (my own father was an alcoholic who died tragically young) and it can ruin the lives of familly and friends as well as the victim. The poster who described alcoholism as "self inflicted" is apparently ignorant of how it can start, I just wonder how many colleagues reading this thread suspect they may have a problem, or even know that they do. To them I give my best wishes and hope that they can win.

As for the pilot this thread is about, turning up over the limit for work was stupid and the penalty is being paid, but how many of us truly know the stuggle to keep going that goes on inside every addict.