PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - More Lack of Military Leadership
View Single Post
Old 31st Jan 2011, 01:48
Dick Smith

Received 74 Likes on 29 Posts
More Lack of Military Leadership

I have started a new thread on this one as it is quite separate to the Williamtown issue, although it does lean towards the same problems.

Over twenty years ago, ICAO introduced airspace classifications for good, proven safety reasons, i.e. pilots would know what type of service they would get in a particular airspace – all just good commonsense.

In the USA, the FAA was one of the first to move to the ICAO classifications followed by Australia a little after 1991. How have the Australian military gone? I suggest you look at Richmond airspace on the current VTC. Yes, it says C lower level 4,500 feet, A lower level flight level 180” but when it comes to surface to 2,500 feet, it just says “Richmond Military Control”.

The military told me over fifteen years ago that they were going to move to the ICAO classifications like the USA, Canada and Europe, but they haven’t done this.

I don’t think there is any better example of the complete lack of decision-making ability within the military. Imagine – they can’t even show the leadership to force through some letter classifications for existing airspace!

Of course I say “force through” because there will be a huge band of people saying, “it’s done us well in the past, we must never change it”.