PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Safest go-around procedure
View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2011, 20:07
Kerling-Approsh KG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, I do. I think you ended up in a situation beyond your training and which the aircraft was not tested for. Avoid that situation in future, and always remember, the moment you step aside from the proscribed procedures for any aircraft two things happen: first, you become exclusively responsible for the outcome and second, you enter uncharted, and possibly unexplored, territory at your peril.

If you fly the aircraft correctly, you shouldn't need to experiment.

Next time, fly the approach properly or go around early enough for it not to be an issue.

I agree that there are some interesting things about the AA5A at low speeds; in testing, erroneous airspeed calibration sometimes proved to be problematic, but it's no DC8, and nor does it need handling like one.

Final thought... Think about what would happen if you could try taking various AA5As to a safe altitude. Establish the 1g flap full stall speed iteratively, and then go to that speed plus 3 knots and retract some flap. The pitching moment and wing drop may be significant, and that's a good reason to achieve a safe margin above the stall speed for the configuration you're about to adopt before adopting it. I mention this even though in ground effect it will be different, but testing in ground effect is difficult and hazardous, and therefore usually done in tunnels or by modelling.