PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VISION THREAD (other than colour vision)
View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2011, 17:42
Loose rivets
Psychophysiological entity

Location: Tweet Rob_Benham Famous author. Well, slightly famous.
Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
EDIT: A bit of a rant, and not for the first time, but so much can be gained by quick action in a young patient.

It was one of the times I left Colchester hospital in a serious rage. My son, aged about 18 monts, maybe two years, had a buildup of messy stuff in one eye. Various doctors prescribed antibiotics, one even taking a culture. None of it did any good.

I was really worried his visual circuits were not being developed at a critical age. He certainly couldn't see much out of that eye. We then went to see the main man. (read pompous git.)

What a display of look at me. Nurses, cleaners, anyone that happened to be passing. I've never seen anything like it. "I'm not probing bla bla bla...)

I took the kid home and put him on our bed. Got an Anglepoise lamp and good magnifying glass. There was a membrane of skin over the tear duct/drain. I made a tiny scalpel on the wrong end of a huge needle, and opened the duct up. Squished out fatty stuff just as one used to do a stye. I already had the antibiotic.

He was as right as rain in a couple of days after months.

The surgeon got his own back. He managed to blind my mother some time later during a routine cataract operation, by not acting on her warning about reacting to anesthetic. He took 'copious notes' my mother said, but did nothing. Her retina was pushed from the back of her eye during the reaction period.